Thursday, August 7, 2008

Child, Sleep and Single Parents

What do these three things have in common: Children, Sleep and Single Parents.

Well, let's just say that single parents *most likely* get less sleep than parents with partners. I'm speculating here but I'd love to know what you think about this and the following articles:
  • 50% of Foster Kids are On Psychiatric Medications (The statistics they point to in this article are based only on reports from the state of Texas. I think this has much more to say about the programs run in that state than anything else...Can anyone point to stats on children in other states or nationally?)
  • Problems with Sleep Deprivation (I swear I didn't write in for this, but this easily could've been me as it describes me perfectly, and why I'm writing this at three in the morning.)

  • Will Companies Discriminate Against Children of Single Parents? (It frustrates me that the person writing this - and many others, I'm sure - assume that 'single parent' means parenting alone. I'm a single parent (aka not married) but my son's father is equally involved - if not more so than the stereotypical dad. But I don't generalize like the author of this article has.)
For more articles relating to psychology, visit the Alltop directory.

No comments: