Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thoughts After Visiting Dad's House

I'm a single, working mom, but I'm one of the lucky ones. My son's father is equally involved and just as equally interested in his son's education, etc.

When people hear that I'm a single mom, they typically say something like, "I don't know how you do it on your own." Well, let me be the first to tell you that there is no way in hell that I could've gotten this far on my own.

Even though my parents and extended family and friends are thousands of miles away, they've been an amazing support system for me. I've also created a wonderful commUNITY here in the last several years that is made up of dozens of moms and dads (single or otherwise). And yes, my former husband has been a big help, too.

When we got married, we both knew that we wanted children. In fact, we were so certain that we wanted a child that we got married to ensure that it would happen. You know, "First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage."

After a few years together, we discovered that we are the best parents we can possibly be to our son when we're not living together.

Over at Dad's House, I would imagine that he's just as involved in his children's life as my former husband is. We are on a 2-3-2 schedule (if anyone is interested or knows what that even means) but Dad steps up and has our son during the times I'm gone on business (quite often).

When I started my company and began to narrow my focus on what I would be specializing in as a Certified Parent Educator, my first thought was wanting to work with single parents. That focus then changed to working with any and all parents since I want to help anyone who is willing to sit down and work on being a better mom or dad than they already are.

I can't imagine having to be a full-time mom to my son without his dad in the picture. We're not all in the same house any more, and it's often times quite frustrating, but the three of us will always be a family. And family will always come first.

No comments: