Friday, May 30, 2008

Book Review: Nordie's at Noon

I can't recall where I first heard of this book, Nordie's at Noon, but I got the chills when I read the subtitle: The Personal Stories of Four Women "Too Young" for Breast Cancer.

Breast cancer kills approximately forty thousand women each year.

These are the true stories of the emotional ups and downs that four women faced during their mid twenties and early thirties after being diagnosed with breast cancer.



Like any group of young women, they talked about their careers, their relationships, their dreams and more serious issues that brought them together once a month at a local Nordstrom department store: cancer.
Jen (diagnosed at 27): I decided to focus on living and taking chances. I would have no regrets whether I lived to a hundred or to thirty. I was sent here for a purpose: to raise my little boy and help other women who may follow in my footsteps. That's what I would do. (p. 149)

I am thankful that I can appreciate my parents now while they are still living, and I look forward to the day when my children have their own children and can begin to understand how very much I love them.
(p. 173) Two life-changing experiences had happened to me at the same time. I brought a child into this world and faced my own mortality. Either one would have been a challenge on its own; facing both at the same time was pretty overwhelming. (p. 190)

Patti (diagnosed at 24): You don't realize that hormones are such an integral part of you until they're taken away. Most women lose their hormones gradually. Mine were gone in an instant. (p. 187)
A true celebration of friendship and living to the fullest, Nordie's at Noon is also a book that will encourage women everywhere to be proactive with their health - and to realize that no one is "too young" for breast cancer.

No comments: