Wednesday, June 25, 2008

No Child Left Inside

Richard Louv was the first to give name to a phenomenon we all knew existed but couldn't quite articulate: nature-deficit disorder. Since its original publication, Last Child in the Woods has created a national conversation about the disconnection between children and nature, and Louv's message has galvanized an international movement.

Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder is the inspiring work that proves children need nature as much as nature needs children.



The new edition includes:

  • A field guide with 100 activities to promote change in your community, school, and family
  • 35 discussion points to inspire people of all ages to talk about the importance of nature in their lives
  • Field notes from the author about the growing No Child Left Inside movement
  • New and updated research confirming that direct exposure to nature is essential for the physical and emotional health of children and adults
Richard Louv is the chairman of the Children & Nature Network, has served as adviser to the Ford Foundation's Leadership for a Changing World award program and the National Scientific Council on the Developing Child.

To learn more about the Leave No Child Inside Movement and how communities and organizations around the country are helping to reconnect children with nature, visit the Children & Nature Network.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember so fondly, I used to wade by the river, climb on trees and play around the vast beauty of nature. Simple things like these made us happy then.

I want my children to experience too, like I did. I want them to appreciate the beauty of nature.

I don't know if I am synched with your entry---but it brought back happy memories of my childhood.

Thank you. :)

HIP_M0M said...

I too look back at my childhood with fond memories of outdoor play. Growing up in Minnesota, I was able to learn about nature first-hand and appreciate the changing seasons as we played outside all year round.

My son and I go back to visit family often and it's amazing how his toys get left behind as he and his cousin explore rocks, branches, leaves and are happy and occupied outside with nothing but their imaginations, and each other.