Sunday, September 16, 2007

Relocating

I checked out a new apartment yesterday but I'm trying not to get too excited about it since it would be rather selfish of me to move. Or is it? Some people think that I should get a fresh start, finally, and getting a place of my own, on my own, would be a major step in this direction.

The place I looked at was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment with a loft above the kitchen. This would be so ideal for a home office and the fact that it isn't really much farther away from my job than my current place is now is an added bonus.

I think I'll sit on this idea for a while and get some more feedback. I'm sure those with kids and those without, or those who have been through a divorce and those who have not will have different opinions on the matter.

My son has lived in our current place with me since he was born so I can't imagine what life would be like for him after another major adjustment like relocating. It's hard enough that he is still trying to adjust to his new classroom and new teachers.

I stayed for morning meditation last Friday when I dropped him off. My son does meditation and yoga on a daily basis at his preschool. They start out their day this way and the few times that I've stayed to participate, I can truly see the benefit in doing so. I just wish I had more will-power to be able to do it on my own.

Something about meditating with 3 and 4-year-olds is inspiring to me. I can see them watching me (their teachers have their eyes closed, but I know better) and I sit up straight and tall, trying to be a role model as I follow the instructions.

Breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth. Criss-cross apple sauce (they used to call it sitting Indian style when I was in kindergarten). Hands palm to palm at my chest.



If I had been introduced to meditation at a young age I doubt I would've gotten involved in drinking and smoking like I did. I hope that my son continues to practice yoga and meditation as he gets older. It is a wonderful way to start the day, clear the mind, and center one's self.

Now if only I could figure out a way to meditate while driving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow--what a wonderful, healthy habit your son is learning, one that he'll be able to draw on at any age and use when he needs to. Meditation can be so calming and centering. I love hearing that he does it at his preschool! What forward-thinking people they must be there. Lovely. :) And I'm glad you stayed and did some with him.