Thursday, October 11, 2007

Sweetest Day - Yay or Nay?

What is with Sweetest Day and why is it now suddenly important to me to not get left out on this gift-giving holiday? I find myself questioning whether or not I should choose to celebrate an event that the majority of the U.S. population has not even heard of. Those who have are not eager to dish out more money to the retail companies who profit off of these types of celebrations.

Just Because Baskets

I do have sweet people in my life who I would like to recognize. Valentine's Day is certainly a holiday reserved for couples and significant others, but what's the difference between the two? Should I honor the people in my life that make the world sweeter on October 2oth, or shall I reserve giving them kudos for another four months?

GiftBaskets.com, Inc.

And who decided to place yet another holiday in the middle of the already-overly-busy gift-giving holiday season? I mean, let's take a look at the calendar here. Between September and June we have Grandparent's Day, Halloween, Hanukkah, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, and Father's Day.

igourmet.com

Why not select a summer month to add in a new holiday? There's nothing going on in July or August except simply enjoying time with family. Maybe that's the whole point. Perhaps with school and the busy schedule surrounding the time between September and June, we've forgotten to celebrate the people in our lives by simply sitting back and spending quality time with one another.

Perhaps the retail companies got it right and are just giving us what we need - something to feed the guilty conscience that we create by filling up our time with work, after-school activities, play dates, book clubs, mom's night out or girl's night in.


Personalized Sweetest Day Gifts

I haven't solved the dilemma of whether or not to introduce yet another holiday to my son. Although perhaps I could simply start a new tradition and honor the special day by doing something very special.

I just checked my calendar and it looks as though we'll have to celebrate another time. I've got plans that night. Figures.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget Boss' Day!
Haha,from Grandma S :)

Ms. Yingling said...

I know that Sweetest Day was invented by the card companies, but my parents were engaged on the day in 1957, so we always celebrated it, but with all homemade cards and gifts. It is a little funny that you would mention people "not eager to dish out more money to the retail companies who profit off of these types of celebrations" when so much of your blog seems to be advertising.

Parents shouldn't have to be hip. I have to go now and put a tissue in my cardigan sleeve!

HIP_M0M said...

Ms. Yingling,

Thank you so much for your comments. I agree 100% with your statement about parents not needing to be hip. We don't need to be anything at all but this site stems from my company which strives to create happier, healthier and more hip relationships between parent and child.

I am open with my son about everything, encourage him to be able to express himself and talk to me about anything and I believe this makes me more of an equal in his eyes, or at least that is my goal. He still knows what the rules are and is a very honest and sensitive little boy who also is respectful, polite and thoughtful.

As for your comment about the advertising, it's not a secret that my site is used to advertise all of the wonderful companies that I have discovered. I love shopping, I'm in the marketing / advertising industry and I enjoy sharing product and company recommendations with others.

As for Sweetest Day, I chose to ignore it, at least for this year but that's only because I let the people in my life know how much they mean to me on any given Sunday.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I appreciate your feedback.