Thursday, February 19, 2009

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I remember adults asking me what I wanted to be when I grew up and having no idea how to answer that question. I've only recently discovered what I truly want to do that would be fulfilling, provide me with a stable income and allow me to have the flexibility that I desire.

Young women have limitless options when it comes to the type of career they want but it certainly isn't easy to figure out as a teen or young adult what job would suit them best.

In Their Shoes is a wonderful resource put together by Deborah Reber that just might help young women narrow down their career choices. Interviewing women in different professions, from a forensic scientist to librarian, firefighter to architect and over a dozen more, Reber highlights successful women and what it took for them to get to where they are today.


Senator Barbara Boxer and actress Maura Tierney are two recognizable names - and faces - included in this collection of careers that young women will understand more clearly after reading through this book.

In the back of the book is a Career Chooser checklist to help readers determine which jobs fall into categories that they might find appealing, such as jobs involving travel to interesting places, careers that provide opportunities to attend hip parties or that allow you to work from home.

I wish I had this book when I was in high school, trying to figure it all out. With this book and the information provided, young women can select a career path that they will be confident and eager to dive into when the time comes.

No comments: