Friday, February 13, 2009

Putting Myself First

My son got sick early this morning and is sleeping off whatever it is that made him ill. He doesn't get sick often so it's hard to see him so miserable. He woke up asking for more water and didn't have much energy to even lift his head.

Today was going to be a special day for him at school. It's the last day of school before Winter Break and also the day they share Valentine's Day cards with one another. He spent a long time filling out the Valentine's Day cards and was looking forward to the celebration.

I was looking forward to heading over to a spa in the area for an hour-long session on Putting Yourself First with a friend and life coach who put together the event. Sadly, I will not be able to be there now since I'm here at home while my son sleeps.

It's ironic that today, putting myself first is not an option. I work with parents who I encourage to set aside time for themselves and with their partner but realistically, it's not as easy as it sounds.

Life gets in the way and responsibilities shift depending on the circumstances and so it is that I am meant to be here, still able to put myself first in some ways since my son isn't needing my attention right now. I keep going in his room to check on him and although I love watching him sleep, it's never fun to see him sick.

He's not himself today and I don't know when he'll be back to normal but for the time being, I am getting some things done (coffee, laundry and writing) while I wait for his energy to revitalize him and get him back on his feet.

I promised him that I'd bring his cards to his friends this afternoon and pick up his box of Valentine's cards that will be set aside for him. He's leaving for a mini-vacation next week with his dad so I promised myself that I'll use that time to put myself first. No excuses.

No comments: