Saturday, November 15, 2008

What Makes Tracy a Happy Healthy Hip Parent

True to my word, I'm highlighting happy, healthy, hip parents over the next few months who may not be famous but who are raising amazing children and celebrating many other successes in their lives.

Facebook has brought me face-to-face with several high school classmates since joining, including Tracy, mother of two. Her son will be turn four in less than a month and her daughter just recently reached her six-month milestone.

Besides being a mom and wife, Tracy works as an Accounting Manager for Bechik Products, Inc., a small mattress supply distributor and manufacturer in Eagan, Minnesota. She also recently started TNT Dancer this year, a one stop shop for all dance necessities. Her goal is to grow this online business, quit her full-time job and spend more time with her children.

I asked Tracy to answer a few questions about her relationship with her children and her role as Mom.

1) What makes you happy, as a parent?

I love watching my children learn. Ryan is writing his name and beginning to read short words. It absolutely fascinates me. He isn’t even four yet! Their little minds just blow me away.


Lea is rolling all over and laughing constantly. No matter what kind of a day I had I know that she will make me smile. Every new action and gesture she makes is amazing. Just seeing my children and receiving hugs makes me very happy.


2) What’s the healthiest thing about your relationship with your children?

My children and I have a great relationship. Ryan and I are constantly laughing and making up new games. Our imaginations run wild and that is not only healthy for him, but it keeps me young.


Lea lights up when I walk into the room. Whenever she is sad and just needs a break, Mommy can always calm her down. Sometimes she just needs a break from Daddy - not everything is a game at 6 months!


3) Kids say the cutest things. What is the funniest story you recall about your children?

Ryan is constantly saying cute things. A few of them are:

“I am handsome, just like a Daddy!”


About his Spider-Man Halloween costume (it had poofy arm muscles and pecks). "I have muscles like Daddy and boobies like Mommy.”


“Mommy, you are my girlfriend.”


Lea just squeals a lot.


4) What is your proudest parenting moment?

When Ryan told me how he spells his name and then wrote it. I was so proud. He loves to learn and I like to think that I have something to do with that.


5) What is your biggest parenting challenge?

My biggest challenge is my physical limitations. I have multiple sclerosis and it can be very challenging to work full-time, take care of my 2 kids at night, and maintain a tidy home. Luckily I get help from my husband around the house and with the kids. My mother is also a huge help.


The challenging part is fatigue and how that makes it even tougher to keep up with an almost four-year-old.


6) What’s your favorite activity you enjoy with your children?

My favorite activity with Ryan is reading. It is relaxing for me and Ryan is starting to learn the words, so very fun for him.


7) How would your children describe you?

I think that Ryan would describe me as a goofball. We are always laughing and singing. Anything to be silly. My Mom was that way with my sister and I. It was great. I am bringing that same smiley outlook to my children.


Lea probably just thinks I'm the lady who changes her, gets food, and smiles a lot.


8) Who or where do you go to for parenting advice?

I go to friends or my Mother for parenting advice. If the questions I have are too technical I do some research on-line or call the doctor.


9) What advice would you give to new or expecting parents?

Enjoy every moment with them because your parents were right…they grow way to fast. Get down to their level and act like a child. Always laugh! They are only little once.


I encourage you to visit the National MS Society and donate an amount that you can afford to help fund cutting-edge research, drive change through advocacy, facilitate professional education, and provide programs and services to help people with MS and their families move their lives forward.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea to highlight parents
doing a good job. Tracy is a great role
model. God Bless her and her wonderful family.

Anonymous said...

I love this interview and your blog.

Anonymous said...

This is so great! What a fun way to put moms in the spotlight.

jennyonthespot said...

Hello my new Facebook friend! The kids are IN bed - but not sleeping:)

What a neat site! I am looking forward to keeping up with all the wonderful happy, healthy hipness here! I always looking for more ways to integrate all 3 virtues *smile* into me life :)

Single Mom Seeking said...

Wow, Tracy is such an inspiration. Great idea about the spotlight!

HIP_M0M said...

Thanks to each of you for stopping by and leaving your comments.

Tracy was tickled to be referred to as a "great role model" and "an inspiration."

I look forward to introducing you to even more happy, healthy, hip parents over the next few weeks.