Thursday, July 30, 2009

Growth Spurt

No doubt about it - my son grew since I saw him last. I dropped him off at summer camp last Monday (the 20th) and yesterday morning, when I saw him again, I could not believe how much taller he was! His first tooth is loose and it seems even his vocabulary and maturity level have increased.

I, too, grew in many ways during this past week, having time to reflect, both before and after BlogHer, along the road as Sugar Jones and I drove across country, tweeting and laughing our way from San Diego to Chicago - and back again.

This was my first BlogHer experience, and it did not disappoint. There was as much drama, laughter, drinking and learning involved as I had anticipated. Although it was a bit more intense than I imagined.

It was overwhelming. I felt slightly intimidated, but overall, it was quite humbling to be surrounded by so many great writers that I have been reading and following and even more that I am just now discovering.

As a writer, I appreciate the advice provided during the humor panel, from the talented women on stage (The Bloggess, Bern This) and the many people I met throughout the weekend (Shash, Mr. Lady, Anissa, Shauna, Redneck Mommy, Her Bad Mother and more).

Being away from my son for nine days put things into perspective for me. It reminded me of why I started writing in the first place, why I formed this company two years ago and what it is I so enjoy most of all (being a mother).

I've been laying low this week, trying to put my thoughts into words and wanting so badly to sit down and just write, but instead, I've been spending quality time with my son, stopping only for a few minutes here and there to jot some ideas down, and publishing my best material on Twitter.

My son is sitting next to me right now, on his own computer, creating online adventures that belong only to him, and this weekend, we'll be celebrating summer. Laughing, playing, and growing. Together.

4 comments:

shauna said...

Aww, his first loose tooth? That's so sweet.

You're awesome and I'm glad we got to spend so much time together. (when were we NOT together?)

I know we'll stay in touch. I own you now, remember? Because in some countries, once you give a girl a tampon, it's like giving her your heart.

Glad you're back with your son! Enjoy!

HIP_M0M said...

I heard "If You Give a Girl a Tampon" is the next in the "If You Give a Pig a Pancake" series. It's all about social awkwardness and how to introduce yourself to complete strangers. Coming to a bookstore near you...

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

No one in the world has every referred to me as "sage". I'm writing this in my diary.

I can't find my blog said...

I'm so bummed I missed you!